In this Guide
Undermount kitchen sinks are a kind of sink that makes use of undermount installation. Unlike traditional drop-in installation where the rim of the sink sits on top of the countertop, these sinks have its rim hidden under the countertop. A lot of people go for undermount kitchen sinks because of the many benefits it can offer.
If you are here, you might be looking for the best undermount kitchen sink. We set out to find the ones that have a good size and depth with more than adequate noise-muffling effect and good durability and resistance to corrosion. Find out which products we recommend below.
5 Reasons Why You Should Go for Undermount Kitchen Sinks
Here are some of the reasons why you should opt for this kind of kitchen sink design and installation:
1. It looks cleaner and more built-in.
This is the reason why many people think undermount sinks make a house look more expensive. It is because it has that built-in look to it. It works well with modern design settings but should be a good choice as well for industrial or even farmhouse style.
2. It can increase counter space.
If you already have a small counter space to begin with, it makes more sense to choose a kind of sink design that will help maximize what counter space you have. With drop-in sinks, it occupies a bit more counter space because you need to make room for the rim. Undermount sinks, on the other hand, does not have such a problem. You can maximize the space you have and don’t have to worry about the sink intruding too much on your counter space.
3. It makes cleaning the countertop easier.
Because there are no parts protruding and everything looks built-in, it is much easier to clean your countertop if you have an undermount kitchen sink. With drop-in sinks, water residues, limescale deposits, grease and dirt can collect in the rim and in the corners where the sink and the countertop meet. You won’t have such a problem with the undermount sink.
4. You have more options when it comes to sink placement.
Because it has a more built-in approach when it comes to installation, undermount sinks tend to be more flexible when it comes to installation. You can place it virtually anywhere you want as long as it fits. With drop-in sinks, you need to consider if the rim sits well on the countertop and if it doesn’t get in the way of other objects.
5. The undermount sink can be a design statement.
It is a popular choice in farmhouse design as well as in industrial and modern styles. You can find this made in a variety of materials.
There’s no reason you shouldn’t consider choosing the classy undermount kitchen sink.
Best Undermount Kitchen Sinks 2019 Reviews
These are the undermount kitchen sinks that we recommend buying:
- Kraus KHU100-28 Kitchen Sink
- Frigidaire Undermount Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink
- Ruvati 33-inch Low-Divide Undermount Tight Radius Double Bowl Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink
- Zuhne Genoa 32-inch 16G Stainless 50/50 Double Bowl Undermount Sink
Check out what these sinks have to offer:
1. Kraus KHU100-28 Kitchen Sink
This kitchen sink will not fail you in the durability and longevity department. It is made from T304 stainless steel that has heavy-duty properties. You can subject it to wear and tear and not worry about leaving permanent damages. The drain grooves are engineered in such a way that there is no standing water left.
The rounded corners of this sink make this easier to keep clean. It also has a depth that suits most people’s needs.
- Tough and durable. It is made from T304 stainless steel, one of the most durable steels out there that are also resistant to corrosion and rusting.
- It has 1.5mm of thickness. That should be enough to withstand damages.
- The NoiseDefend soundproofing technology ensures vibrations and noise are muffled out when using this sink. There is also a thick padding all around the sink that minimizes noise.
- It features a protective undercoating that prevents condensation from forming. This keeps wooden kitchen cabinets safe from deterioration.
- The corners are easy to keep clean. Water drains out easily as well.
- This product comes with free kitchen accessories.
- Water dries out quickly on its surface.
- Some said it left water stains and that the original sheen faded after a few uses.
2. Frigidaire Undermount Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink
Aside from its rigid construction that enables this sink to last for a long time, this also has a lot of nifty features including its 10mm radius corner design for easier removal of water. You can wash without worrying about noise, thanks to its V-Therm Shield technology. It reduces the clanging noise of water as it hits the surface of the sink.
- This is made from high-quality steel. You can save a lot of money by simply opting for a sink that will last for ages.
- The noise-minimizing effect is good.
- It doesn’t retain water.
- It comes with everything you need for easy installation.
- It also comes with additional accessories such as bottom grids, strainers and a dish drying rack.
- You get a lifetime guarantee with this sink.
- It is easy to clean and maintain.
- Some said they had issues with the installation.
3. Ruvati 33-inch Low-Divide Undermount Tight Radius Double Bowl Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink
This is a 2-bowl kitchen sink. But what makes this different from all other double-bowl kitchen sinks is that the divider is sitting low. This design makes it easier to wash your dishes. The brushed finish gives this extra luxurious look and durability. But durability should not be a problem with its 16-gauge T-304 grade stainless steel construction. This material guarantees that it will never stain or turn rusty.
It is a kitchen sink that is easy to clean. But above maintenance, it is a joy to use as well in the kitchen. The rubber padding incorporated allows it to minimize noise levels and prevent condensation from forming. There is also a 10mmm radius in the corners for more efficient cleaning and lesser chances of water and gunk forming on the sides.
- This sink has a nice and modern look.
- Construction-wise, it feels sturdy. You can trust the material to last for a long time.
- It has an undercoating that prevents condensation from forming.
- It is easy to keep clean.
- Its SoundGuard function minimizes noise levels.
- It comes with a lot of accessories such as bottom rinse grids, strainer, drain assembly, installation clips and template.
- It comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
- Some had issues with oxidation stains.
4. Zuhne Genoa 32-inch 16G Stainless 50/50 Double Bowl Undermount Sink
You can get a good quality sink without shelling out a lot of money. This sink is proof of it. It has an affordable price tag, but it delivers so much on quality. It is built to last with its commercial-grade satin finish that is resistant to scratches. Compared to other kitchen sinks, this has 25% more steel material in it. The 16G body prevents the sink from getting scratched up easily.
Its sound-proofing feature is also good. You can also be assured that condensation will not form easily, thereby protecting your cabinets. You get more counter space with this undermount kitchen sink as it seamlessly blends in.
- This has a good price tag. If you like something more affordable, choose this one.
- The durability is unmatched. It is resistant to scratches and dings.
- The double bowl design enhances flexibility.
- The manufacturer took care to make this noise-proof.
- It is a modern design that will match your appliances well.
- You can keep this clean easily.
- The corners are angled in such a way that cleaning it won’t be difficult.
- It is compatible with strainers and garbage disposals.
- Some said it scratches easily.
Which Is The Best Option?
Have you decided on which of these products to get?
Best Noise-Cancelling Effect: Kraus KHU100-28 Kitchen Sink. We recommend this one if a noise-deadening effect is a big factor for you. It really does what it promises to do when it comes to minimizing noise. But aside from that, it also has a lot of great durable features that can come handy in the kitchen.
High-End Look: Frigidaire Undermount Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink. This sink might have a low price tag but it definitely has a high-end look to it. It looks more expensive, but it will not break the bank. Get this one if you want something that will elevate the look of your kitchen but without you spending so much money.
Great for Modern Homes: Ruvati 33-inch Low-Divide Undermount Tight Radius Double Bowl Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink. Make sure you consider this sink if you are after a modern look in your kitchen. The double bowl system with low divider allows you to effortlessly clean your dishes without the obstruction of the divider.
Affordable Choice: Zuhne Genoa 32-inch 16G Stainless 50/50 Double Bowl Undermount Sink. You won’t regret buying this because apart from its affordable price, it also boasts of excellent quality. It has all the features you might be looking for in a sink and has a good size that can work even in smaller kitchens.
Tips in Buying an Undermount Kitchen Sink
Understandably, you would want to buy the best one for your home. To make sure you are getting exactly that, here are some buying tips you should keep in mind:
1. Choose a material that will work with the level of activity you have in the kitchen.
When it comes to choosing the right sink material, you need to take into consideration how much work you typically do in the kitchen. If you really don’t do a lot of kitchen work, you can go for something that is aesthetically pleasing such as copper or ceramic. If you do a lot of work in the kitchen and you wash a lot of pots and pans on a daily basis, get something that should be able to withstand all the abuse you will inadvertently inflict on it. One that is corrosion and scratch-resistant should be a good choice.
2. Make sure the size and depth of the kitchen sink works with your personal needs and preferences.
Another thing to consider is whether a single bowl or a double bowl sink would work better for your needs. A single bowl sink makes it easier to clean pots, baking tools and a host of other kitchen tools that might be otherwise too difficult to wash in a small sink. A double bowl sink, on the other hand, has a separation that will allow you to simultaneously work on two things at the same time.
3. Pick something that is easy to install and comes with everything you need for installation.
Undermount kitchen sinks aren’t exactly known for their ease of installation. Drop-in sinks are typically easier to install. But that doesn’t mean that you can’t install it on your own. Look for those that include complete installation kit and has a design and guide that will make installation a cinch.
4. It should have the ability to drain water with ease.
This applies not just to undermount kitchen sinks but to all sinks in general. Some sinks do not have a good drainage capability that water still manages to sit on corners. Find out which design helps in effectively draining water.
5. Make sure you can easily access it.
Deeper undermount sinks are good because you can wash bigger dishes and pots in it. However, they can be difficult on the back because you might need to bend down to access the things you are cleaning in there. See to it that it still has a depth that will work with your personal needs.
Additionally, you would want to look for a sink that comes with a lifetime warranty. It should have a price tag that is within your budget range.
Check out more of the best kitchen sinks here. Make sure you know more what other types and materials of kitchen sinks out there, so you can make the right decision when buying.