Nothing can overwhelm you quite like buying a pedestal sink. There are just so many options out there that you might find yourself at a loss when it comes to choosing one for your bathroom. But don’t worry because this guide will help you identify the best one that will work in your home and determine which of the products out there offer the best features.
Make sure you read our buying guide and product reviews thoroughly, so you can come to a better decision as to which pedestal sink is the most suitable choice.
In This Guide
Reasons Why You Should Choose a Pedestal Sink
Out of all the sink options today, why choose the pedestal sink? These sinks have been around for a long time. They just evolve when it comes to features and design, but you can be assured that even old houses have this sink installed in them. Although there are newer styles and designs of sinks today, they still remain to be one of the most popular sinks around. Here are the reasons why:
1. It works great with smaller bathrooms.
If you have a small bathroom, getting sinks with cabinets might not be an option because of the lack of space. A pedestal sink is better because you can station it anywhere you want without worrying that it can get in the way of anything. It also doesn’t occupy a big footprint. It is a great choice for half-baths or powder rooms as well.
2. These sinks are beautiful and the gives off a vintage feel to it.
There is no denying the fact that these sinks are beautiful. They do give off a vintage feel but it’s also easy to get a modern look to these sinks with the various design options you have today. So, whether you are going for a modern design or a vintage one, you will find the pedestal sink an easy choice.
3. They are less expensive to buy and to install.
Unlike more expensive sinks that come with storage, these are cheaper to buy. They are also easier to install as they don’t require special fixtures to work. You can simply prop them over a wall and then hook up the plumbing.
4. They are great for starter homes.
If you have a starter home and you are furnishing it, you should consider a pedestal sink. It will not break the bank.
The downside to a pedestal sink though is the lack of storage space. The thing about bathroom storage is that many people think they need it. In reality, most people only need space for a handful of things as a bathroom is not an ideal place for storage anyway due to the high level of moisture in there.
But in lieu of storage, there are a couple of things you can do. You can install floating shelves on wall right on top of the pedestal sink. That way, you can access whatever it is you need to access such as make-up or toiletries. You can also install wire cabinets at the bottom of the sink. It can wrap around the leg of the sink to maximize the space. Store cleaning materials and toiletries in here.
Best Pedestal Sink Reviews
We highly recommend buying the following pedestal sinks:
- Fine Fixtures Roosevelt White Pedestal Sink
- Renovator’s Supply Small Bathroom Pedestal Sink
- Toto Promenade Lavatory and Pedestal
- Foremost Series 1920 FL-1920-4W Pedestal Combo Bathroom Sink
Here are the things you should know about these sinks:
1. Fine Fixtures Roosevelt White Pedestal Sink
With a classic look and design, this elegant pedestal sink will surely elevate the look of a boring and drab bathroom. It is made from vitreous china material that takes pride its non-corrosive properties. It is also resistant to scratches and dents, allowing you to get a beautiful pedestal sink for a lifetime.
This sink comes in two heights – 22 inches or the smaller 18 inches. You can also choose from two different colors – the white one or the biscuit one. It is a nice and narrow pedestal sink that you can easily incorporate in a small bathroom.
- Has a vintage appeal. It looks great and can last for a long time.
- It is made from vitreous china material that can withstand wear and tear and can last for a long time.
- Small enough to work in a limited space.
- This comes with overflow protection.
- Installation was easy for some people as they were able to do it themselves without the help of a professional plumber.
- There aren’t a lot of negative reviews about this product. There was just a customer who said the white one is actually not accurately white but more of an off-white color.
2. Renovator’s Supply Small Bathroom Pedestal Sink
More ideal for those itty-bitty bathrooms, this sink will not get in the way of the other things you need in this small space. It is 33 inches tall for easier access and 16 inches wide. That is not bad at all when it comes to maximizing what little space you have. This is also designed to last for a long time, thanks to its stain and scratch-resistant materials. It also features a reno-gloss finish or that attractive modern look.
- Nice-looking pedestal sink. It can work with different design schemes.
- Made from viperous china. It won’t degrade or get damaged easily.
- The finish makes this so easy to clean. Dirt also doesn’t cling easily to its surface.
- Good quality sink. Everything seems to be well-made.
- The basin is quite deep. It is 5 inches in depth.
- It comes with all the things you need for installation.
- Some just said they had missing parts when this pedestal sink arrived.
3. Toto Promenade Lavatory and Pedestal
There is a reason why this sink is more expensive than other pedestal sinks. It boasts of quality through and through. With its vitreous china material, you can subject this to a lot of abuse and not have to worry that it will get chipped or stained. It also features an overflow function, has a universal height of 24 inches and comes with all the mounting tools you need. The bowl for this sink is deeper than standard pedestal sinks, so you can wash more and do more with it.
- It has a nice and attractive design. You will like the clean lines and the simple and minimalist effect that it gives off. But even then, this will still work in design settings that call for vintage fixtures.
- The height is just right. You can access the bowl without having to stoop low.
- The bowl is deep. You can even wash small articles of clothing in here.
- It comes with a rear overflow, something not all pedestal sinks have.
- It is backed by a one-year limited warranty.
- A lot of people commend the quality of this product. It really tops everything that is out there.
- It is a bit more expensive than the other ones you can find in the market.
4. Foremost Series 1920 FL-1920-4W Pedestal Combo Bathroom Sink
Get this rectangular-shaped pedestal sink for your main bathroom. The vintage appeal of this sink can’t be matched by others. We also like the period stair step design element. It is just unique and something you can’t get from other sinks out there. This one also boasts of durability with its vitreous china material construction.
- Many people love its design. They even said it looks far better in real life than it does in pictures.
- There is enough room on the sink to put your toiletries when washing your face or hands. You can also put a soap dispenser on it.
- The price is quite affordable for its quality. It looks more expensive than it really is.
- Well-made. It won’t succumb to wear and tear easily. The material also ensures this remains chip, scratch and stain-free for a long time. You can expect this to last for a long time given how durable its material is.
- There were just some issues with it upon arrival such as damages to base. This can be rectified by calling customer service to have them replace it.
Now which of the above-mentioned products are truly suitable for your needs?
Easier Installation: Fine Fixtures Roosevelt White Pedestal Sink. This one shouldn’t be disappointing when it comes to installation. Some people who installed this didn’t need the help of professionals.
Ideal for Smaller Bathroom Spaces: Renovator’s Supply Small Bathroom Pedestal Sink. While most pedestal sinks are good for small bathrooms, if you have a space that is limiting, get this one. It is not intrusive as the curves of the bowl make this easier to work with in a smaller setting. Additionally, it also has a simple and minimalist design that can make a small space appear bigger. A lot of people have also used this for their guest bathrooms.
Good Quality: Toto Promenade Lavatory and Pedestal. This is the sink to look for if you are searching for superior quality. It also features a lot of benefits such as a deep sink and an accessible height. This will surely make your bathroom look more beautiful.
Nice Period Look: Foremost Series 1920 FL-1920-4W Pedestal Combo Bathroom Sink. If you are after that period look in your bathroom, get this one. It looks like it came straight out of a period film. With modern plumbing fixtures, you can get the best of both worlds.
Questions to Ask When Buying the Best Pedestal Sink
When it comes to choosing the best pedestal sink, ask yourself the following questions:
1. How will the plumbing be incorporated?
The thing about pedestal sinks is that it needs to be installed by a professional in order to make sure the plumbing is completely hidden. Otherwise, you will be left with exposed pipes and fixtures that can mar the beauty of your bathroom. Look for those sinks that make it possible to completely hide your plumbing fixtures.
Also consider the location of the pedestal sink when buying. If you are doing a renovation, get your plumber to change the location of the plumbing system as needed to accommodate the needs of your new pedestal sink. Otherwise, stick with the old configurations and look for a sink that will work there.
2. Will you need extra support?
Some manufacturers of pedestal sinks might have additional specifications when it comes to bracing. You might need to have the wall braced to provide enough support to your pedestal sink. You might need to install lumber on the wall. That involves opening the wall. Also make sure you check how the pedestal sink has to be anchored to the floor. You might need to secure it to the floor using a screw.
3. How does it drain?
Most of the pedestal sinks you can find today have designs that work directly over a drain. The water pipes are on either side of the drain. In some cases, there may be some room to make changes but check to see if the pedestal sink you are buying will allow these changes.
4. Will there be a need for special fittings?
You might need to buy special fittings to match that of your pedestal sink. Fittings can come in a variety of finishes such as bronze, chrome and copper. That can improve the aesthetic appeal of your pedestal if some of the parts are going to be exposed.
5. What design are you going for?
Pedestal sinks come in a wide range of designs. There are the ones that have vintage design elements and those that look more modern with their cleaner lines. Go for the ones you think will match the aesthetic properties of your bathroom.
What to Do Next?
Have you finally decided on which one to get? Aside from pedestal sinks, there are also many other sinks to choose from when doing a kitchen or a bathroom reno. See the best kitchen faucets on the market now!