In this Guide
Material is one of the most important factors to consider when buying a sink. Browsing over the array of kitchen sinks available in the market today is nothing short of overwhelming but if you know which material is durable, easy to maintain and beautiful, you can make a buying decision right away.
One such material that you should look for is granite. This material is actually a little bit underrated when it comes to kitchen sinks. But there is a plethora of reasons why this can be ideal for your home. Read until the end of this article to learn more about granite kitchen sinks and what they can do to improve the look and functionality of your kitchen.
Benefits of Granite Kitchen Sinks
There is the durable stainless steel, the inexpensive ceramic and the timeless copper. With all these materials available, why should you choose granite kitchen sinks? You can actually choose from two types of granite kitchen sinks. The first one is the solid stone granite sink, which is a heavier, more durable kind of sink because it is made entirely from a single piece of granite or blocks of solid granite bonded together.
Another option is the composite granite sink. Built from a combination of materials mixed with granite, this is a less expensive option compared to the solid ones. They are also readily available and lighter in weight.
Arguably one of the best reasons why you should consider granite kitchen sinks is their durability. Most of the granite sinks sold in the market today are made from 80% solid granite and 20% acrylic resin. Those numbers alone give this sink material a lot of durability. The material is non-porous and doesn’t chip or scratch easily. It is also a non-corrosive material and resistant to stains.
Beautiful and Timeless
This is a kind of sink that you will be happy to integrate in your kitchen just because of how nice and beautiful it looks. It has a timeless design and you can also choose from different colors and finishes. You can even match your countertops with your kitchen sink for that seamless and fluid look. If you like this kind of look in your kitchen, you definitely should consider this material.
Granite isn’t a pain to maintain. That is because it isn’t that sensitive to materials. You can pour hot water, acidic liquids or pigmented solutions on it without worrying that it will get stained, warp or break. That said, it will remain it is original state for a long time. You also don’t need to buy expensive chemicals to keep it clean. Even natural solutions work in removing residues all over its surface.
Easy on the Budget
Stainless steel and copper sinks are definitely more expensive compared to composite granite. For those on a tight budget, buying the best granite kitchen sink means not blowing your budget on your home remodel.
These are enough reasons for you to consider granite kitchen sink.
Best Granite Kitchen Sinks 2019 Reviews
Out of all the granite kitchen sinks out there, here are the ones that stood out:
- Kraus KGU-413B 31-inch Undermount Single Bowl Granite Kitchen Sink
- Franke Ellipse 33-inch Dual Mount Granite Double Bowl Kitchen Sink
- Houzer V-100U Midnite Quartztone Series Granite Undermount Large Single Bowl Kitchen Sink
- Blanco 440067 Performa Single Basin Undermount Granite Kitchen Sink
Here are the things you should know about these kitchen sinks:
1. Kraus KGU-413B 31-inch Undermount Single Bowl Granite Kitchen Sink
A more affordable choice, this granite kitchen sink boasts of 80% natural granite material that has a length of 30.47 inches, a width of 17.09 inches and depth of 8.66 inches. It has a seamless undermount installation that will make this look as if it has been built in your space. It really has a stone look and feel to it.
Since it is made from natural granite, it has good sound-muffling properties. You don’t need to worry about the noise that washing the dishes will bring because the sink itself absorbs sound. The material is non-porous, so it doesn’t absorb foreign materials that can cause bacteria to grow. It is also resistant to heat, safe for all the boiling water you plan on dumping in there.
- This is a great-looking kitchen sink. The black onyx color suits modern kitchen styles but should also work with industrial kitchen settings.
- Has a good sound-absorbing benefit. You can wash all your dishes with ease.
- It feels solid and doesn’t easily succumb to damages like chips, cracks and scratches.
- Cleaning it is a cinch. It doesn’t leave filmy residues behind.
- The size is just right. It also has a good depth that will allow you to wash bigger pots and pans.
- While the material itself is already resistant to heat, it has an additional thermal finish.
- It comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
- Comes with a lot of accessories.
- You need to use the drain basket or food will get lodged in there and cause clogging.
2. Franke Ellipse 33-inch Dual Mount Granite Double Bowl Kitchen Sink
This dual-mount type of granite kitchen sink can either be installed as a top mount or an undermount. It offers installation flexibility. The two-bowl design allows you to do two things at once. The surface is also sanitized, boasting of a protective barrier against bacteria. The bowls have a depth of 9 inches, giving you more room for cleaning your kitchen tools.
- This one offers flexible installation with its top mount and undermount installation options. You can pick the best one that works in your kitchen best.
- Has a sanitized surface. You don’t have to worry about bacteria forming unnecessarily on its surface in between using it.
- It comes with one hole for the sink but can accommodate four more holes if needed.
- A lot of people commented on how beautiful the finish is.
- Maintenance and cleaning are virtually painless. Many did not have issues in its department.
- The depth works for many people. They were able to wash bigger pots and pans without splashing water all over themselves and the floor.
- There is a customer who said this sink needed to be oiled regularly in order to maintain its look.
3. Houzer V-100U Midnite Quartztone Series Granite Undermount Large Single Bowl Kitchen Sink
Take this sink into consideration if you are looking for an undermount kitchen sink with a large single bowl. Washing big pots and baking trays is easy, thanks to its 9.5-inch bowl depth. You don’t have to worry about bacteria thriving on its surface because this is a non-porous material that doesn’t absorb anything. It feels nice to the touch and looks great in any kitchen setting. With its 80% quartz material, you can be assured that this sink will last you for a long time.
- It looks great, perfect for modern settings.
- Made from 80% quartz material that ensures high durability.
- The surface itself is nice to the touch. It feels silky soft. If you want to bathe your babies in here, that shouldn’t be a problem.
- Cleans easily and effortlessly.
- It prevents bacterial contamination.
- Resistant to thermal damages and shock.
- Can be installed with ease.
- Some said this was too thick for them.
4. Blanco 440067 Performa Single Basin Undermount Granite Kitchen Sink
Made from 80% granite, this is a good choice if you prefer something that is durable and natural. It has a two-bowl configuration with one of the bowls boasting of 10 inches of depth and the other one shallower at 7-3/4-inch in depth. The metallic gray color works with lighter countertops.
- Here is another beautiful kitchen sink to consider installing in your kitchen. If you have light-colored countertops, this will be a good fit.
- The two bowls have different depths. Great for different purposes in the kitchen.
- It is durable and doesn’t get damaged easily. It is scratch-resistant even if you use a steak knife. It is acid resistant as well.
- It comes with accessories such as the stainless-steel mesh colander.
- Cleaning it is a cinch. It even boasts of 70% better cleanability compared to other sinks.
- It doesn’t fade when exposed to sunlight.
- One of the most expensive sinks out there.
Now which of these products will work best for you?
Good for the Budget-Conscious: Kraus KGU-413B 31-inch Undermount Single Bowl Granite Kitchen Sink. Those who are on a tight budget should consider getting this one. It is less expensive but has good features. You will also like how beautiful it looks. It works in modern kitchen settings.
Easier to Install: Franke Ellipse 33-inch Dual Mount Granite Double Bowl Kitchen Sink. If you are remodeling your kitchen by yourself and you are looking for fixtures that won’t be a pain to install, consider this one. It comes with everything you need for installation and isn’t too difficult to put in at all, even without using its manual.
Great for Modern Design Kitchens: Houzer V-100U Midnite Quartztone Series Granite Undermount Large Single Bowl Kitchen Sink. It has a black color that will work in modern kitchen designs as well as in industrial design settings. It will easily make a statement in your home.
High-End Choice: Blanco 440067 Performa Single Basin Undermount Granite Kitchen Sink. This is the sink to consider if you want the best durable features and you want something that will look so beautiful in your kitchen. It offers a lot of features that can extend its life.
How to Buy Granite Kitchen Sink
Even with a lot of good options out there, you still would want to think about your options and choose those that will truly deliver the features and functions you are looking for. Now make sure you keep the following factors into consideration when getting yourself a granite kitchen sink:
Kitchen Sink Configuration
You can opt for a large single bowl basin or a double bowl one with the same size. The single bowl large rectangular basin will allow you to wash bigger pots and pans without being hampered by a divider. If you do a lot baking, this kind of configuration also makes it easier to clean your baking trays and dishes. The double bowl one, on the other hand, allows you to do multiple things simultaneously. You can wash produce in one bowl while washing meat in the other one. It is good for preparations.
How big a space have you allotted for your granite kitchen sink? Keep in mind that sinks come in different sizes. Make sure the sink you plan on buying works with the space you have. Something too big can take up a lot of space in a small counter space. It’s all about striking a balance and thinking about scale.
Some granite kitchen sinks come in black onyx color, others in dark brown or light grey. You really have an assortment of choices when it comes to kitchen sinks, so finding a color that matches with your counter space is paramount. You can take a picture of your countertop and then print it out, so you can check it out right next to the sink you are thinking of buying and determine whether the colors work.
Another thing to consider that can affect how well you will utilize your granite kitchen sink is depth. A deeper bowl is ideal in hiding dishes and pans in there. If you also frequently wash bigger pots and pans, you should choose a sink with a deeper bowl.
How easy is it to install? What are the sink configurations? Make sure it can be easily installed without worries about leaks. A lot of people like readily available granite kitchen sinks out there because of how they come with features that allow for easy installation.
Your budget range will determine how good a granite kitchen sink you can get. If you wish to get a better and more durable kitchen sink, consider spending a bit more money.
What to Do Next?
Do check out all our other reviews on kitchen sinks. If you haven’t found the right kitchen sink yet, our reviews and buying guides will be able to help you out.